Saturday, October 5, 2013

Why Tough Teachers Get Good Results

The article "Why Tough Teachers Get Good Results," by Joanne Lipman is about how educators need to be harder on students rather than basically just passing them along to get by. Lipman recalls a Violin teacher who was very hard on his students, but ended up making them all succeed. The article has a list of 8 principles that explain why the new teaching methods are less efficient than the traditional teaching methods. Lipman explains that being hard on students will help them be better students rather than being nice and letting students get by. Back in the old days, students would fear getting paddled by the principal for having bad behavior, and now they just get sent home from school which for students is a means of having the day off. Lipman believes that this is encouraging bad behavior rather than teaching them a lesson from it.

I like this article because I know many former pupils that disrupted classes and were disrespectful for teachers because they knew that the teachers would do nothing about it. If Mr. K was their teacher, being as strict as he was, they would know not to disrespect him and would do exactly what he told them to do. This helps students become more successful because they will pay attention and behave in fear that if they do something wrong, he would embarrass them. I do not think that I have the mean bone in my body to actually yell and be too strict on students, but I know that I will have to find and break that bone because it will be more beneficial for my classroom and for my students' learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment